Onion Soup from Scratch
- 1/3 cup butter or margerine
- 5 cups thinly sliced onions (2 lbs.)
- 4 - 10 1/2 oz. cans beef bouillon
- 1 soup can water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 6 to 8 French bread slices, 1"thick
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Melt butter in large skillet.
- Add onions and cook over low heat 30 minutes, stirring often. Do not scorch onions but cook full 30 minutes at low heat.
- Combine onions, undiluted bouillon, water, salt and pepper in a large kettle.
- Bring to boil, turn heat low, cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Toast bread.
- Place a piece of toast in each bowl, add soup and sprinkle toast with cheese.
Serve with additional cheese, if desired.
(From the Los Angeles Times)