Grace Duryee's Turkey Stuffing
From my dad's mother, Grace Duryee.
Clean turkey, baste with butter, salt and pepper. Cover with oiled paper towel. Cook at 300 degrees; 1/2 hour per pound.
Proportion: 3 pans per pound of turkey (I don't know what this means...it was written on the recipe card.)
- Butter - 1/2 cube
- Margerine (inexpensive) - 1/2 cube
- 3 loaves white bread, cubed
- 1 Tsp. sage
- salt and pepper
- 3-4 shakes Worchestershire Sauce (2 Tbsp?)
- 5 shakes onion salt (2 Tsp?)
- In frying pan, heat 1/2 cube butter and 1/2 cube margerine and add sage, salt and pepper, and Worchestershire.
- Place bread in skillet, stirring constantly until brown.
- Deposit seasoned cubes on paper until they reach room temperature; mix thoroughly with hands, re-seasoning to taste.
- Pack tightly. Repeat until quantity of 1 pan per pound of turkey is reached.
Option: May add celery or chestnuts