Killer BBQ Sauce
Makes 1 quart
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 jarred roasted red bell peppers, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Put a medium pot over medium heat and coat with the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onion and garlic.
- Cook and stir for a minute until soft.
- Add the hoisin, vinegar, Worcestershire, tomato paste, roasted peppers, molasses, sugar, chili powder, paprika, cumin, salt, pepper and 1 cup water.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thick, 20 minutes.
- Puree with an immersion blender or transfer to a standard blender. Let cool completely.
- The sauce will keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 6 months.