Great Grandma Bartlett's Sausage
This recipe is approximately 200 years old and was copied from a cookbook belonging to the Bartlett family, originally of the Plymouth Colony, Salem, MA, (family line of my grandmother, Grace Kissam Duryee, but we're not sure which Bartlett matron was the "Great Grandmother" this recipe came down from):
- Of leg of fresh pork, free from skin, sinews, and gristle, lean 1-1/2 lbs, ground
- Of pure fat, 1 lb. - ground
- Salt - 2 good tsps
- Pepper - 1/2 level tsp. (same of cloves and mace)
- Powdered rosemary - 1tsp.
- Grated nutmeg - 1 heaping tsp.
- Powdered sage - 2 even Tblsps., scant
Mix (all ingredients) well together and pack in jar to stand a few days before using.