Garlic Mashed Potatoes - Aquavit
- 1.5 Lb fingerling or Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 large cloves garlic
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs unsalted butter
- 1 Tbs freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the potatoes, milk, cream, garlic, and thyme in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat slightly and simmer until the potatoes are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain, reserving the cooking liquid.
- Transfer the potatoes and garlic to a medium bowl and mash with a fork, adding the nutmeg, olive oil, butter, and Parmesan. Add about half the reserved cooking liquid, mixing well, then add additional cooking liquid as necessary until the potatoes are the consistency you like. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.