Jose Duryee's Chile
This is my dad's recipe for his "famous" chili...
- 6-7 Lbs. beef chuck, round; low priced cut
- 1 large can Chile Sauce (48 Oz.), or better yet, you can use JR's Red Chile Sauce
- 1 can, (48 Oz) water
- 2 Qts. canned tomatoes
- 3 Bell peppers, diced
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup flour
- 2 Tbs ground oregano
- 1-1/2 Tbs ground cumin
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 bay leaves
- 3 Tbs Worchestershire Sauce
- Salt to taste
- Slice meat at least 1/2" thick, removing fat, gristle, bone, etc = 1/2 x 1/2" cubes. Dredge beef in flour.
- Place 1/2 of oil in large, heated skillet and add onion and peppers, cooking until onions are transparent. Remove vegetables from pan.
- Add the rest of the oil to the hot pan, add meat and sear thoroughly.
- Add onions and pepers, chili sauce, water, tomatoes, oregano, cumin, garlic, bay leaves, Worchestershire Sauce and salt.
- Simmer for several hours, or until meat is tender, stirring frequently. Extra chili powder may be added to taste.
- Serve in bowls, garnish with cilantro and cheese.