Cucumber, Bell Pepper, & Tomato Salad
A cup of bulgur wheat, soaked and prepared according to the package directions, may be used instead of the pita chips called for in this recipe.
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, washed and cut in half
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice (about 2 cups)
- 2 medium bell peppers (any color), stemmed, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons sugar
- Juice and finely grated zest from 5 to 6 medium lemons (at least 1/2 cup of juice and no more than 1 tablespoon of zest)
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro or mint leaves, or a combination of the two (optional)
- 6 ounces plain toasted or baked pita chips (may substitute 4 slices fresh pita bread, toasted and cut into bite-size pieces)
- 2 ripe avocados, pitted, flesh cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 6 -ounce block (not crumbled) feta cheese, cut into small cubes
- Combine the tomatoes, cucumbers and bell peppers in a large bowl; toss with the kosher salt and sugar. Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes.
- Pour the lemon juice over the vegetables and toss to combine, then add the olive oil and mix well. Add the herbs and pita chips, then add the chopped avocado, feta cheese and lemon zest, gently stirring to mix well. Cover and let the salad sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving.
Serves 4 to 6