I recently brought home a package of Bob's Red Mill Tapioca. My grandmother used to whip up batches of Kraft Minute Tapioca, and the flavor has remained in my memory all these years. So I made up a batch of Bob's tapioca and it was wonderful! However, following the recipe on the back label was not wonderful. Small print and all in one block, I had to re-read each step numerous times to get everything straight, so I promised myself I'd create an easy-to-follow recipe on line. Here it is!
- 1/3 cup small pearl tapioca
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 Tsp salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided into two 1/4 cups
- 1/2 Tsp vanilla extract
What to Do With Them
- In a 1 1/2 quart saucepan, soak tapioca in water for 30 minutes. Do not drain.
- Add milk, salt, 1/4 cup sugar, and the lightly beaten egg yolks to tapioca/water mixture and stir over medium heat until it boils.
- Simmer over very low heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring often.
- While simmering, beat egg whites and 1/4 cup sugar to soft peaks.
- Fold 3/4 cup tapioca into beaten egg whites, then gently fold egg white/tapioca mixture back into the saucepan.
- Stir over low heat for 3 minutes.
- Turn off heat and cool for 15 minutes, then add vanilla.
Serve warm or chilled, makes 3 1/2 cups.