Stuffed Bell Peppers
Original recipe from The Food Charlatan - a spectacular site full of wonderful recipes! The intricacy of this recipe speaks to the quality of all of Karen's recipes. (I've edited the recipe and added some of my own touches.)
Prep the peppers:
- 6 medium to large bell peppers
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, for seasoning peppers
- 3 tablespoons water
Cook the rice:
- 3/4 cup dry white rice
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons water, for the rice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, for the rice
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, medium or large, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, for the filling
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes (I like petite diced)
- 1 cup frozen corn, don't bother thawing
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese or Italian cheese blend
- Prepare the bell peppers. You can just take the top off, or you can slice them in half vertically and lie them down in the pan
- Pre-cook the peppers. Place peppers cut side up in a pan, add 1/2 cup of water, sprinkle with salt, and microwave for 5 minutes.
- Cook the rice. Usually, the ratio of rice to water is one cup rice to two cups of water. Boil the water, add the rice, and cook on low for about 15 minutes. Fluff the rice and it's ready to go.
- Prepare the filling. In a large skillet, place the 1 Lb. ground beef in and flatten it, then break it up a little bit and let it sear on medium-high heat until the bottom is really brown. Add the chopped onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for another 5 minutes until the onion is soft.
- Add 3 cloves of smashed and minced garlic to the pan over medium high heat and cook for 1 minutes until fragrant.
- Add 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce and 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke.
- Add 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, and 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper.
- Add a 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes and simmer for another 5 minutes or so.
- Add 1 cup frozen corn and rice - eyeball the amount of rice, you might not need all that you cooked.
- Fill the peppers and top with cheese.
- Bake at 350 for about 20-25 minutes, until the cheese is melted. You should be able to easily slide a fork into the side of a pepper. If it seems too hard, let it bake a few more minutes.