Low and Slow Pot Roast
Originally seen on The Kitchen Magpie:
- 1 tbsp higher temperature oil - canola, sunflower, peanut, Etc...
- 4 to 5 lb chuck roast
- 2 to 4 large potatoes washed and kept whole if they can fit, cut in half if you have space issues in the Dutch oven
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and sliced into very large chunks
- 2 red or white onions quartered
- 10 cloves garlic whole
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 tbsp thyme I used freeze dried
- Salt and black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 300º F.
- Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the roast.
- Add the oil to a Dutch oven and start heating to medium-high heat.
- Sear the roast on all sides, approximately 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Place your vegetables around the roast and the garlic on top.
- Combine the beef broth and red wine together. Pour over the top of the roast.
- Sprinkle the thyme over the top.
- Cover and place in the oven.
- Roast in the oven for 4-5 hours or until the meat pulls apart when you take two forks to it. Low and slow!