Killer Roast Chicken
An old recipe of mine that I recently found in an archived directory. I would recommend spatchcocking it, ie. remove the back bone and cook flat on the grate, but that means you can't use the veggies for stuffing. Alternatively you could roast it vertically, but don't do the beer can thing. It's not a good way to cook chicken. The old tried and true method of cooking it breast-down first, then rotating it to breast-up half-way through cooking will work just fine. Breast should be cooked to a measured 165º. White vinegar gives the skin, (or the outside if you cook skinless), a great tang.
- 1 Fryer chicken
- 1 Onion, quartered
- 1 rib celery, quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 1.5 Tsp. Onion salt
- 1 Tsp. Coarsely ground pepper
- 0.5 Tsp. Chili powder
- 2 Cups water
- 0.5 Cup white wine or distilled white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 325° Remove giblets and rinse chicken under cold water. Pat dry.
- Place onion quarters, celery and bay leaf inside cavity.
- Sprinkle entire chicken with onion salt, pepper and chili powder.
- Place chicken on rack in baking or broiler pan. Place water, white wine or vinegar and 2nd bay leaf in bottom of pan.
- Bake for about 1.5 hours, basting with pan juices every 30 min.
- Chicken is done when golden brown and fork removes easily.
*It is important for chicken to cook on rack over, not in pan juices.