German Apple Kuchen
From "A Celebration Cookbook; 25th Anniversary Edition, 1960 - 1985" from Prince of Peace Lutheran Church, Brooklyn Park, Minnesota
Recipe by Karin Weber
Pan: 9" x 13"
Bake: 30 - 40 Min.
- 1 loaf frozen white or sweet bread dough
- 2 cups pared, thinly sliced apples
- 2 Tbs. butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Tsp. cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup cream
- Let dough rise slightly. Press into well-greased 9" x 13" pan.
- Arrange apples on top. Cut butter into sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over apples.
- Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled in size - 1 to 1.5 hours.
- Bake at 350º for 20 - 25 minutes, or until custard is set.
- Best eaten the day baked. refrigerate leftover cake. Reheat to serve.
- More ideas: Use fresh plums, prunes, peaches, fresh or frozen blueberries, raspberries or rhubarb.