Beer Mac & Cheese
- 1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1 teaspoon and 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon light flavor olive oil
- 1 large shallot, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup dark beer
- 2 teaspoons full strength prepared stone ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
Prep Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 1 hr
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large pot, over medium-high heat, bring two quarts water and 1 teaspoon salt to a full rolling boil. Gradually add macaroni and boil approximately 10 minutes or until pasta reaches desired tenderness. Drain.
- Melt butter and olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Sauté shallots in butter and olive oil for approximately 2 minutes or until they begin to turn transparent. Add flour to the pan, stirring constantly until a smooth paste forms. Stirring constantly, gradually add milk and continue cooking until mixture is thick and bubbly (mixture should coat the back of a spoon). Add 8 ounces of cheese and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat and add beer, mustard, garlic powder, pepper and remaining salt. Stir well.
- Spray a 9? x 9" square glass pan with non-stick cooking spray. In the large pot, combine macaroni and cheese sauce and stir. Pour into 9? x 9" baking dish, cover with foil and place into preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove foil and continue cooking, uncovered for another 15 minutes.
- Remove macaroni and cheese from the oven. Allow to cool for approximately 5 minutes before serving.