Bacon and Egg Cups
A fantastic recipe! This originally called for 12 eggs and a 12 cup muffin tin. We use jumbo size eggs, so I went out and bought a 6 cup muffin tin instead of using the 12 cup tin. This had the added benefit of reducing the overlap the bacon had wrapping around the inside of the cup, which created some problems with even cooking. Here's a 6 cup tin at Amazon.
- 6 strips bacon
- 1 red potato, sliced 1/8 inch thick, rounded ends discarded (I found that you can shred a potato, put the shreds in a large paper towel and wring the moisture out, then add some shredded cheese and panko breadcrumbs to form a fantastic cup.)
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
- Shredded cheese - enough to sprinkle just a little on top of the potato slices, and then on top of the eggs during the second round of baking
- 6 jumbo eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Hot sauce or other condiments
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Wrap 1 piece of bacon around the inside of each cup of a 6-cup muffin tin to create rings. Put 1 slice of potato on the bottom of each cup and divide the bell pepper pieces among the cups.
- As mentioned in the Ingredients section above, you might consider shredding a potato, squeeze the moisture from the shredded potato, then mix in some shredded cheese and panko breadcrumbs. Wrap the bacon around the inside of the muffin cup, then make another cup inside the bacon wrap with the shredded potato and cheese, then proceed with the rest of the recipe.
- Bake until the fat starts to render from the bacon (it will bubble in the bottom of each cup) and the bacon begins to crisp and turn light brown on the top edges, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove the tin from the oven and crack an egg into each cup, making sure the yolk is inside the bacon ring. Sprinkle some shredded cheese on top of the eggs.
- Continue baking until the bacon is crisp, the egg whites are cooked through, and the yolks are still runny, about 10 minutes longer. Run an offset spatula or large tablespoon around the edges and remove to a platter. Sprinkle with the chives and serve with condiments.